Short name: GDDKiA
Type of organisation: Public administration
The General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways is the central authority of national administration set up to manage the national roads and implementation of the state budget in Poland. GDDKiA was established on 1 April 2002 by the Polish Ministry of Transportation.
GDDKiA is the central government body responsible for national roads and also performs the duties of:
• Participation in the implementation of road transport policy
• Collection of data and information about the network of public roads
• Supervising the preparation of road infrastructure for the defense of the nation
• Issuing permits for a single journey, within a specified time and for a fixed route, of non-standard vehicles
• Cooperating with other road administrations and international organizations
• Cooperation with local governments for the development and maintenance of road infrastructure
• Management of traffic on the national roads
• Protection of road monuments
• Performing the tasks associated with preparing and coordinating the construction and operation of paid motorways
• Managing payment for transit in accordance with the provisions of paid highways and the National Fund for traffic.